ENJOY YOURSELF OVER THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS…..BUT:
- Keep stocked up on your medicines making sure you get prescription medicines before Christmas Eve (Tuesday 24th December)
- Eat well – enjoy Christmas and the lovely food but eat everything else in moderation! Even on Christmas you can try and eat 5 fruit and veg a day (parsnips, carrots, cranberries and even brussel sprouts count!) -and drink plenty of water (really does taste better without the alcohol!)
- Drink alcohol in moderation – yes, even at Christmas men and women should not drink any more than 14 units a week. If you are unsure of unit consumption visit calculating-alcohol-units
- And after all that…….get out into the daylight for a light walk! Remember to wrap up warm; wrap a scarf loosely around your mouth to keep the air warm, add a hat and wear shoes with good grip. However, if you have a heart or respiratory condition, stay indoors during very cold weather. If the temperature does fall below 8 degrees it can impact on your health if you are over 65, have long term health conditions or are pregnant
- Don’t forget the family, friends or neighbours. If they are older, not well or vulnerable check they are ok.
- Don’t forget the pharmacist for coughs, colds, sore throats and none urgent illness – they will be working around the city over the holiday period!
- And finally, this is a great opportunity to remind you to have your flu jab. You can STILL protect yourself against the flu by getting the flu jab which is FREE if you are aged 65 or over, or if you have a long-term health condition. Check the practice for our opening hours or visit a pharmacy near you.